The COVID-19 Pandemic halted all in-person group sessions in March, which means we have been separated from our group members for about 140 days! While we understand this is what is needed to maintain the safety of all; we have missed our groups terribly and worry about the impacts of social isolation. We have heard from many that they are missing our groups as well. This is why we are so excited to announce
the start of our Telehealth Sessions on Monday, August 3rd!
During July, we have been piloting this program, with an exciting addition to our normal group sessions; ONE ON ONE SESSIONS! Group members now have the option to request a separate session, where they will be one on one with one of our social workers. We have received great feedback from our group members. Check out what they had to say:
- “I love that I can do a one-on-one with you now. It’s easier for me to talk about what’s going on without having to worry about what other people are going to think.”
- “This [group] makes me feel really good, I can get things out and share, plus I know now that other people feel the same way.”
- “We get to support each other; I knew that Susie (fake name) was struggling because of our group last week so I checked in on her to make sure she was doing okay. I didn’t know she needed me to do that before.”
- “I’m sad, until I’m here with you. Then I feel a lot better.”
- “This is all really well-done. It’s organized, it’s easy, we just get on here and talk. Really, this is great.”
Our staff have seen the difference in the mental health of our group members over the course of only 4 weeks! Here’s what she had to say about the change:
“Group members are much happier and positive than they were during the first session. So many were struggling with depression, isolation and anxiety, and they have shared with me that they look forward to group all week. They explained that getting to share how they’ve been feeling and get feedback from me and the other group members as well, has been so helpful. Even though we aren’t in person right now, we are laughing and enjoying our time together like we always have.”
Starting Monday, we will host over 97 virtual sessions across the state of Michigan, focused on the mental health and well-being of our group members through inventive engagement and strength-based discussion. Our teams are so excited to see how everyone is and continue the work we are most passionate about.